Varicose veins are basically twisted and dilated swollen veins. These veins help to take the blood back to the heart for filtration. It is a superficial vein which is located near the skin’s surface. These are mostly found in our legs. Varicose veins are also present in another part of the human body i.e Hummoride ( varicose veins in the rectum ). About 3rd of our population suffered from lower limb varicose vein issues. The varicose veins are swollen because sitting and walking for a long time increases the pressure of blood in our lower body veins as shown in the figure.
- Definition of Varicose Veins
- Types of Varicose Veins
- Cause of Varicose Veins
- Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Treatment of Varicose Veins
- Prevention for Varicose Veins
1. Definition of Varicose Veins
- “ Varicose veins are defined as elongated and torturous superficial veins result of venous Hypertension “
- It occurs due to permanent loss of the valvular mechanism.
2. Types of Varicose Veins
There are different types of various veins:
- Spider veins: like a network of thin red lines of blood vessels spread on the surface of the skin.
- Reticulum varicose veins: they spread like a mesh and cover a wide area of the skin.
3. Cause of Varicose Veins
There are so many causes of suffering from varicose veins and these are explained below:
- Its caused due to standing for the long time period
- Being overweight.
- Genetic history of your family.
- Due to deficiency of Vitamin K.
- Increasing blood pressure in veins.
- Old age: in old age, you are not able to stand or walk so sitting for a long time period can cause varicose veins.
- A tumour.
These are causes as well there are some risks that cause varicose veins too:
- Sex: women are more likely to develop this condition…
- Pregnancy: because the volume of blood increases.
Varicose veins can cause ulcers and discolouration.
4. Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Heavy and Uncomfortable legs.
- Aching in the legs.
- Muscles cramping.
- Unbearable pain in the legs after sitting or walking for a long time.
- Swollen lower legs.
- Colour around the varicose vein changes.
- A dry and thin layer of skin is created on the varicose veins part.
- Feel legs burning.
- Swollen feet and ankles.
5. Treatment of Varicose Veins
These varicose veins are treated by surgeries and therapies. Treatment through surgeries:
- Vein stripping
- Laser treatment
- By using laser or radiofrequency energy
Treatment Through Therapy:
- Compression Therapy: In this therapy, we apply a particular pressure on the leg to remove swelling and discomfort.
6. Prevention for Varicose Veins
- Exercise regularly.
- Do dieting for losing weight if you are overweight or suffering from obesity.
- Avoid sitting or standing for a long time period.
- Also, avoid wearing tight-fitted clothes.
- Don’t wear high heels.
- Use less salt to prevent yourself from swelling caused by water retention.
Food Used for Prevention
- Berries etc
Are used for avoiding varicose veins and also help to make your veins healthy.
✓ Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS)
✓ National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute